Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Why do this blog?

After multiple requests, we decided to make a blog to just help keep up with people, especially now that Canaan's here... he's the one everyone's really interested in! I (Christen) will probably keep it up mostly and so I can't promise any consistency or regularity but I'll do what I can! We'll post pictures and maybe even videos if I figure that out, and just keep up with what we're up to in general. 

I chose the name of this blog based on Genesis 17:8. This is the verse that I think of with Canaan - kind of a "theme" verse for his name - God's promise to Abraham about the land of Canaan and even more so, his promise to us in Christ. It's such an exciting promise - the hope of heaven, of the glory of God and getting to enjoy him and his glory forever!

I looked up what "sojourning" means and found this: "To sojourn signified to be instructed; and therefore a sojourner signified those who suffered themselves to be instructed in the statutes and doctrinal things." I suppose this fits with the spiritual promise to us in Christ more so than with the literal promise for Abraham to receive a literal piece of land. This Christian life is more and yet no more than being "instructed in the statutes and doctrinal things"... for what you believe about God (statutes and doctrinal things) defines your whole life and all that you think, say and do. The more I learn about life (which is not much), the more I know and see that to be so true! So for God to give us the land of our sojournings (knowledge of him, who he is, what he's like, what he's done) is to give us himself, which is what the rest of that verse says. Pretty cool. 

So I named the blog "The Land of Our Sojournings" based on that verse and just simply because this blog will be a keeping up of our walk through this life together, in the simple things that are impacted and led by our "sojournings" on our way to the promised land. 

No comments: